Monday, July 16, 2012

Our blessings increase

This past week has been an exciting time for us. July 10 was our 30th wedding anniversary. We had decided that this year would be a good time to renew our wedding vows, so we did that during mass this past Sunday.

My son and his wife came from Birmingham on Friday evening to spend the weekend. My daughter-in-law's sweet parents came to support us, too. We had a great day on Saturday visiting with them and sharing stories and fellowship.

The ceremony on Sunday morning was just beautiful. Our pastor was so wonderful. He called up our son and daughter-in-law for a family blessing after the ceremony.  

We had placed flowers in the sanctuary, and bought a beautiful cake and flowers for our church family to celebrate with us after mass in the fellowship hall. After mass, my husband and son surprised me by singing a song for me. It was the song, "I Wouldn't Change You If I Could" by Ricky Skaggs. My sweet husband played the guitar and my son played his mandolin. They had spent a lot of time practicing to learn the song. It is one of the best gifts I ever got.
The day was, like most other special occasions, bittersweet, because Lauren was not there. Missing your child on a special family occasion is a part of every grieving parent's life. But I think this day, like my son's wedding day last year, was more sweet than bitter. I have come to realize that even though Lauren is not here physically, she is always with us. I believe that and it gives me peace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment