Sunday, June 12, 2016

A barrel of humanity

When my husband and I take a driving trip we usually end up eating at a Cracker Barrel. The same was true on our last trip. The restaurant was very crowded that day, and since I am not a big fan of crowds, I really dreaded going in. We were pretty hungry since we'd been driving for several hours, so I thought I'd suck it up and just go on in there.

I usually don't like crowds. Sometimes it seems like everyone is always in a hurry or they don't have time for even a smile. No one says "Excuse me" or even acknowledges you when you say it. People seem to be less tolerant of people with small children, or someone elderly who moves slower than that person might think they should.

Right away, I noticed something. Even though it was crowded, people were really courteous and nice. I saw people smiling. I saw people holding doors open for others. I heard people politely asking if others were in line before they jumped up to the front.

My fear of crowds dissipated as I let myself relax and enjoy the positive for once. Even though we were tired, I felt much better when we got back in the truck to continue on our journey.

With all the negatives on the horizon lately, it was nice to have a little respite on the road.

We need to pray for our country, for each other and for ourselves, that we will remember that we are the hands of feet of Jesus. We can show him in a smile, in a kind word and in a small gesture.

"Without love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing.” ― Thérèse de Lisieux

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Amazing that I came upon your blog post on this feast of Therese of Lisieux.

    ReplyDelete